At the May 19, 2020 GET Board meeting the Board approved spending up to $160,000 to retrofit 88 buses with polycarbonate shields to protect drivers from COVID-19 and other intrusions such as flying objects that can be easily transferred through close contact.
GET continues to be an essential service during this pandemic, so we are always exploring new ways to add to the precautions we are taking to protect our passengers and employees. Transit systems across the United States have installed similar driver shields and, GET made the decision to prioritize ordering and installing the shields since we are continuing to provide an essential transit services to our community.
Additional precautions include:
- Providing bus operators with wipes, gloves, disinfectant and hand sanitizer.
- Requiring that passengers ride with an appropriate amount of distance between each other to maintain the recommended social distance. The bus is limited to 15 passengers at a time.
- Deploying shadow buses on busier routes as needed, to pick up the extra passengers.
- Encouraging passengers wear cloth masks when riding and while out in public.
- Cleaning all bus interiors more frequently.
- Educating all staff about prevention measures, including best practices to maintaining social distancing.
- Encouraging employees and passengers to wash hands frequently, use sanitizers and to stay home if they feel ill.
For more information, visit www.getbus.orgor call 869.2GET (2438).